What is the reason to do a "Reset Query"

Griz2

I have taken over responsibility for a RuleX.  In the History for one of the steps, I see the several "Reset Query" and I do not understand what this does.  Are the Reset Query and Data saving actions even necessary?  Here are the actions in the History.

Filter

Assign to attribute

Reset Query

Filter

Data saving

Filter

Assign to attribute

Filter

Assign to attribute

Reset Query

Data Saving

Hi Griz! 

The reset query can be used to don't save a filter or a group.

Maybe you need to assign a value to column depending on label of another one and you don't want to use a filter, let's look at an example:

In Var_1 you have the label A, B, C and D and you want to assign different value (or formula) for A-D, B and C
image.png

What you can do is to create a filter and then assign the value to the column Var_2. 

image.pngYOu
image.png

After deleting the filter you will have the following result:

image.png

So, if you now compute the task you will maintain 100% of your rows but with the changes only on the one filtered and the history will look like that:

image.png

This is one of the many ways you can use the Reset Query 

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't you just use a formula var_2 =  ifelse(var1 = "A or var1 = "D",2," ")   I do not see the benefit of using a preFilter and then deleting it.  It seems like doing this behind the scenes would make understanding what was going on with your data more difficult to understand because you would have to look through the History to see this code.

Hi Griz, 

regarding

What I used in the example was just a simple case, you may want to do multiple filters at the same time, or apply a value only to a series of values according to a group or perhaps sort a column in ascending order and assign a value only to the first 100 values, these are all things that can perhaps also be done with the formulas but they make everything more complex and above all permanent.

Regarding 

You can find some direction here Tracking operations in the History tab (rulex.ai) in the operation "Cut operations"
Anyway, we are steadily improving our documentation and will be adding much more information soon, thank you for your feedback